Sunday, October 27, 2019

Winged Verse - Cardinal

So, I recently made a post on my Facebook page (click here to follow!) asking for suggestions of birds you'd like me to turn into poems. As the post states, these prompts could come simply in the form of the bird name, or they could be more specific, including a photo, a characteristic, a memory, or a specific vibe you'd like me to capture. I work well with prompts, and I need your help! So send me your ideas through my Facebook page, and I'll get to work writing more "winged verse".

This project of turning birds into words is part of my longing these days to weave everything together, all my Loves in one place. I have always had the heart of a poet, the urge to turn words into art. And, of course, I Love birds. Thus, this idea was born.

My first poem comes from a request by Diane Dossin, who included this photo and a few supporting details
Diane Dossin: Cardinal that visits when I sit on my screen porch. My father died this summer (age 95); I like to think he's keeping me company via that brilliant bird. 

I sat out in the woods to write this one, with Diane's words and photo in mind. Here is what came out!

Winged Verse - Cardinal

Before you passed, I asked for a sign
How to know you were with me
Once your body was gone.
I sat on the porch,
Cup of tea in hand,
And waited for that sign to come.

It didn't take long for me to know.
I sensed it first by ear.
A metallic chirp, 
A cheerful tone,
As if to say, "Hey! Over here!"

His feathers were brilliant in the morning sun,
Eyes masked with a hint of mystery.
He sat there perched, on fire and curious,
Watching me as I sat watching him.
We stayed like this, eyes locked for a while,
As I finished that slow cup of tea.
And once I took that final sip
He took flight, whisking away.

I smiled, setting down my empty cup.
My heart full, radiant and red.
I knew already that'd be our sign,
I felt it in all of me.
~
After you passed, there was a void
Were you still with me, 
Now that your body was gone?
For days I cried and got lost in the pain
In a sea with no land and no anchor.

Until one morning I returned to my porch,
A warm cup of tea in hand.
It didn't take long for my fears to dry,
As my sign reappeared once again.
Northern Cardinal,
Father Spirit,
North Star,
My Guide.

Every day now he comes to me.
With the same cheerful, tinny hello.
Those brilliant reds,
That patient gaze,
Each morning a grateful return.
I take longer and longer to finish my tea,
Delaying the moment he flashes away
But whenever I finish and set my cup down,
I smile, knowing you never left.

No comments:

Post a Comment